- 3 Hours
- 90 Multiple Choice Questions—RIB Act, Auto, Property, Travel/Health
- Changes beginning in November 2023– 90 Graded Questions + Pilot Questions – RIB Act, Auto, Property, Travel/Health
- Changes beginning in January 2024– 100 Graded Questions + Pilot Questions. For more information, see RIBO’s exam standards and Level 1 exam blueprint.
- 75% (68 out of 90)
- Changes beginning in January 2024, the number of graded exam questions will be increased from 90 to 100. The passing grade will be 75% (75 out of 100).
- 18+ Years Old
- Valid Criminal Record History
- Satisfy the Only Business or Employment rule
ATTENTION EXAM TAKERS
Beginning in November 2023, RIBO is making changes to the RIBO Level 1 Acting Under Supervision exam. Learn about the upcoming changes here. The changes above are listed in italics.
Virtually proctored online exams are a convenient option from the comfort of your home or any private space with an internet connection. Exams are conducted on two platforms—TopClass, where the exam is hosted, and ProctorU, where a virtual proctor monitors your exam. Proctors observe exams via webcam and troubleshoot any technical issues should they arise. All online exams are recorded, and unusual behaviour is flagged. Here’s a short video explaining the exam process. Details on how to book your virtual proctor and test your system prior to the exam are emailed following registration.
It’s the exam taker’s responsibility to secure a virtual proctor through ProctorU for all online exams. Your specific exam start time will be determined during this process. Detailed instructions will be emailed following registration.
- Personal laptop or computer with the capability to download software (a ProctorU Browser Extension)
- A personal laptop or computer with a single monitor (computers with 2 or more monitors aren’t permitted)
- Chrome or Firefox web browser
- Functioning microphone, speaker and camera (headset mics aren’t permitted)
- High-speed internet—a connection failure or interruption will interfere with your exam
- Do not connect through a VPN (Virtual Private Network)
Number of Attempts
If you fail your RIBO 1 exam, you’re eligible to rewrite a second time by following the standard registration process. After two failed attempts, you’re ineligible to rewrite your exam for 8 months following your second attempt.
Permissible Tools to Use During Exam:
- Digital version of the OAP1 Policy (available on the exam platform)
- Four Function Calculator (on the computer)
For more information on the RIBO Examination Rules, please visit here.
Sign in using your IBAO Member ID. If you don’t have a Member ID, ask your hiring manager to have you added to their IBAO employee roster or create an account.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How do I know if I’m eligible to write the exam?
Eligibility requirements are listed on each exam page.
Does completing the RIBO 1 exam guarantee a license?
No—passing the exam and obtaining a license are two separate processes. Upon successful completion of the RIBO 1 exam, individuals must apply for their license with RIBO directly.
If I write and pass the RIBO 1 exam, can I sell insurance right away?
No—passing the exam and obtaining a license are two separate processes. Only licensed individuals are authorized to sell insurance. Upon successful completion of the RIBO 1 exam, individuals must apply for their license with RIBO directly.
How many times can I write the RIBO 1 exam?
If you fail your RIBO 1 exam, you’re eligible to rewrite the exam within the 8-month period following your first attempt. After two failed attempts, you’re ineligible to rewrite your exam for 8 months following your second attempt.
What does my exam fee cover?
Your exam fee covers the development, coordination and administration of the exam. There’s a separate licensing fee to obtain your license, which is coordinated by RIBO. This license will authorize you to sell insurance in Ontario.
Does the exam fee cover a rewrite or second attempt?
No—there are no discounted fees for rewrites. A fee of $250 is required for every exam attempt.
How long will it take to get my results?
Typically it’s less than a 2–week turnaround for exams to be marked and results formally communicated. However, you will receive your informal grade immediately following exam completion. For confidentiality reasons, exam results will only be released to the individual who wrote the exam.
How do I submit my RIBO application and criminal record check?
Once you receive notice of your passing exam grade, you’ll receive instructions on submitting your licensing application. This process will take place after the successful completion of your exam.
I failed the exam—how many times can I rewrite it?
If you fail your RIBO 1 exam, you’re eligible to rewrite the exam within the 8-month period following your first attempt. After two failed attempts, you’re ineligible to rewrite the exam for 8 months following your second attempt.
I have a complaint about the exam process—who can I send it to?
Please send your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How can I request a remark?
As of May 1 2021, the RIBO 1 exam is 100% multiple choice—remarks are no longer available. For all other exam types, results within one or two marks of the passing grade are automatically reviewed and remarked prior to results being released.
What if I’m denied my broker license—do I get a refund?
Eligibility requirements are listed on each exam page. Please review requirements prior to registering for an exam—questions can be directed to email@example.com. No refunds will be provided to candidates who register for an incorrect exam.
After passing the exam, how long do I have to register for a license with RIBO and find employment?
To be eligible for a license, individuals must become employed with a RIBO licensed brokerage within one year of successfully completing their exam. They may apply to RIBO for a license once they have:
– Successfully passed the exam
– Obtained employment with a RIBO licensed brokerage
Failure to obtain employment within a year after successfully completing the exam will require a rewrite.
- Where can I find more information on exam eligibility?