- 30 Minutes
- 20 Multiple Choice Questions
- RIBO 1 License
As of Jan. 1, 2023, all RIBO exams are to be conducted online, or request accommodation for another method.
Exam candidates no longer need to apply to RIBO prior to writing their exam. RIBO applications and criminal record checks can now be completed after successfully passing your exam.
- Choose your exam type and date.
- Register to write your exam through IBAO.
- Upon receiving a passing grade, register your license through RIBO (application + criminal record check).
Virtually proctored online exams are a convenient option from the comfort of your home or any private space with an internet connection. Exams are conducted on two platforms—TopClass, where the exam is hosted, and ProctorU, where a virtual proctor monitors your exam. Proctors observe exams via webcam and troubleshoot any technical issues should they arise. All online exams are recorded, and unusual behaviour is flagged. Here’s a short video explaining the exam process. Details on how to book your virtual proctor and test your system prior to the exam are emailed following registration.
It’s the exam taker’s responsibility to secure a virtual proctor through ProctorU for all online exams. Your specific exam start time will be determined during this process. Detailed instructions will be emailed following registration.
- Personal laptop or computer with the capability to download software (a ProctorU Browser Extension)
- A personal laptop or computer with a single monitor (computers with 2 or more monitors aren’t permitted)
- Chrome or Firefox web browser
- Functioning microphone, speaker and camera (headset mics aren’t permitted)
- High-speed internet—a connection failure or interruption will interfere with your exam
- Do not connect through a VPN (Virtual Private Network)
Number of Attempts
If you fail your RIBO exam, you’re eligible to rewrite a second time by following the standard registration process. After two failed attempts, you’re ineligible to rewrite your exam for 8 months following your second attempt.
Permissible Tools to Use During Exam:
- Four Function Calculator (on the computer)
Sign in using your IBAO Member ID. If you don’t have a Member ID, ask your hiring manager to have you added to their IBAO employee roster or create an account.
Toronto Exam Centre
Write your exam at our Toronto Exam Centre. This opportunity is open to anyone interested in attempting the RIBO exam. You do not have to be employed by an insurance broker. Your exam will be overseen by a proctor which IBAO will provide.
Effective January 1, 2022 the RIBO Habitational Policy will be removed as a reference tool from the Entry Level Broker Level 1 exam. This means that any exam candidate writing the Level 1 RIBO exam as of January 1, 2022 will not have the habitational booklet as a reference tool during the exam process.
What is Staying the Same?
- The OAP1 wordings/booklet will continue to be available as an open book resource
- Resources and knowledge related to the RIB Act remain unchanged.
- Resources and knowledge related to travel insurance remain unchanged.
Sign in using your IBAO Member ID. If you don’t have a Member ID, ask your hiring manager to have you added to their IBAO employee roster.
For groups of individuals looking to write their exam together in a designated location (i.e. a brokerage office) we offer all exam types in scheduled group sittings. This option has a 5–person minimum and must be registered 4 weeks prior to the scheduled exam date.
A proctor must be secured for this exam option. IBAO will provide proctor training prior to the exam date, but it’s the exam taker’s responsibility to secure a proctor following these eligibility requirements (proctors will be contacted prior to the exam date for validation, training and confirmation).
- Must not have their RIBO license
- Must not be a friend or relative of the exam candidate
- Must not work for the same insurance brokerage as the exam candidate
Requests can be booked by filling out this form. After receiving the form, an IBAO representative will be in touch with you within 2 business days to coordinate more details.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How do I know if I’m eligible to write the exam?
Eligibility requirements are listed on each exam page.
What does my exam fee cover?
Your exam fee covers the development, coordination and administration of the exam. There’s a separate licensing fee to obtain your license, which is coordinated by RIBO. This license will authorize you to sell insurance in Ontario.
Does the exam fee cover a rewrite or second attempt?
No—there are no discounted fees for rewrites. A fee of $250 is required for every exam attempt.
How long will it take to get my results?
Typically it’s less than a 2–week turnaround for exams to be marked and results formally communicated. However, you will receive your informal grade immediately following exam completion. For confidentiality reasons, exam results will only be released to the individual who wrote the exam
I have a complaint about the exam process—who can I send it to?
Please send your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.